PlanningThe first step was setting dates and determining how long our vacation could be. We decided to leave Friday and return on Sunday.
|Brooke and I at the train station|
HostelNext, we had to find somewhere to stay. Malaga is a tourist hot spot and therefore hotels are pricey. We decided to stay in a hostel, which are numerous in European cities. We stayed at Feel Malaga Hostel. The woman who we made the reservations with and who was at the front desk for most of our visit was very helpful and even spoke English.It is best to make reservations early in order to ensure that everyone is in the same room. We lucked out. There were only 4 in my group and we were lucky that we all got to be in the same room. We had a key lock and shared bathroom. There was a sink, microwave, washer, and even A/C in our room and two bunk beds. The room cost 37 Euros each for 2 nights.
|Meggie and I Saturday morning on Malagueta Beach|
BeachThe beach was only about a 15 minute walk from our hostel. The beach was called "Malagueta". It was a pretty big beach, although very crowded, especially on Sunday. We got there early both days, about 10:30 a.m. and staked out some good spots. We took snacks and lots of water so that we could stay on the beach all day. The sun is extremely hot and the water is extremely cold. We had to apply sunscreen every hour and cool off in the water.
What we learnedThis trip was a wonderful experience. We learned a lot about what to do and what not to do when traveling. We had some good laughs and saw lots of beautiful sights. There are a few things that stick out from our travels.
|The main street of Malaga on Saturday night|
- Consider bringing an extra towel for the showers, depending on your hostile. Our hostile rented towels and we were much to poor to pay for one. So we got creative....
- Get to the beach early.
- Get a map.
- Plan ahead, but be flexible.
- Go out at night. Everything looks more beautiful.
- Follow your ears. If you hear live music, check it out. We stumbled upon a free dancing and singing performance that was very exciting.
- Check out all the ice cream shops before buying. We should have seen all our options (there are a lot) before ordering.
- As tempting as it may be, do not eat at McDonalds, Taco Bell, or Burger King. Try the seafood!
- Talk to other residents in your hostile.
- Bring sunscreen and reapply more than you think you need to.
- If you burn and need aloe vera, make sure it's not actually hand sanitizer WITH aloe vera (Meggie)
- Take lots of pictures
- Visit Picasso's house and the cathedral